Ahoy, matey. It’s Talk Like A Pirate Day!
You ask: why on earth should I talk like a pirate?
Why: The Pandemic. Do absolutely anything you can do to relieve the incessant stress and angst of 2020, even to the point of almost-certain personal mortification.
More Why: Free Stuff. If you walk into a Long John Silver’s today and talk like a pirate, you will get a free piece of fish. And if you DRESS like a pirate, you will get 2 piece fish basket. That’s something to tell your grandchildren.
How: Don’t go overboard with it or anything.
- Change your Facebook language setting to “Pirate.”
- Blog or tweet in Pirate (note to self: done).
- Talk like a Pirate to your kids. What are they going to do, move out?
- And my favorite: talk like a Pirate to a pet, because they don’t judge.
- Ahoy! – Hi, there!
- Aye – Yes.
- Arr! – That’s right!
- Blow me down! – Oh, my goodness!
- Cackle Fruit – eggs
- Doubloons – coins
- Grub – food
- Heave, to – stop
- Jolly Roger – the pirate flag with a skull and cross bones
- Lad, lass – young person
- Matey – Friend
- Me – My
- Me Hearties – My Friends
- Port – left
- Savvy? – Know what I’m saying?
- Shiver me timbers! – No way!
- Starboard – right
- Ye – You.
- Yo ho ho – Exclamation of pleasure.
By the way, did you know there were lady pirates? Some of the most notorious pirates in North Carolina were women!