- HalloweenOctober 31, 202138 days to go.
- Ten Movies for People Who Love Autumn
- The Harvest Moon shines tonight – meditation and more
- Happy Oktoberfest!
- Happy Birthday, Elvira, Mistress of the Dark!
- September Self-Care Challenge
- Happy Frankenstein Day!
- Happy National Black Cat Appreciation Day!
- Add these spooky recognition days to your planner!
- Fall Home Trends 2021 – Transition Through Halloween
- Classic Movie Day! Free-to-watch online horror movie classics
- Happy Halloween…until next year
- Happy Halloween! Let’s watch Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
- It’s Horror Movie Week! Let’s Watch The Mummy (1932)
- It’s Horror Movie Week! Let’s watch Dracula’s Daughter (1935)
- It’s Horror Movie Week! Let’s watch The Old Dark House (1932)
- Happy National Black Cat Day! Let’s watch Cat People (1942)
- Happy National Black Cat Day
- Toon Tuesday! Mickey Mouse in the Haunted House, 1929
- It’s Horror Movie Week! Let’s watch the first zombie movie
- Happy National Pumpkin Day!
- Three paranormal encounters: true ghost stories!
- It’s Horror Movie Week! Let’s watch The Vampire Bat (1933)
- Crushing on Dracula – why we adore vampires
- Ideas for a Fun, Pandemic-Safe Halloween
- Fortune-Telling Games for Halloween
- Workout Wednesday outdoors with a pumpkin
- Toon Tuesday: The Skeleton Dance
- The History of Halloween (video)
- Leaf raking 101
- Get ready for Halloween checklist
- Plan a relaxing New Moon evening tonight
- Pumpkin Martini recipe
- Toon Tuesday: Betty Boop’s Halloween Party (1933)
- Happy National M&Ms Day (did you know…?)
- My Fall Patio
- Sheet pans and Dutch ovens for fall and winter feasts
- 10 Halloween Mood-Boosters for World Mental Health Day
- Tour an historic cemetery
- Iconic horror movies from the Reagan years…and what they meant
- Halloween origins – Disney video (1984)
- Toon Tuesday! Lonesome Ghosts! (Disney, 1937)
- The Nostalgic Whimsy of Blow Mold Lit Halloween Decorations
- Black and Gold: A Halloween poem for National Poetry Day
- Happy National Pumpkin Spice Day
- Treat Yourself to Spooky Self-Care in October
- October Days to Celebrate
- Happy National Coffee Day! Freebies
- Self-Care September – Week Five
- Ghost Tours in DC and Virginia
- Self-Care September – Week Four
Category Archives: History, Culture and Traditions
With the help of Goofy, learn about the origins of this fun-filled holiday. A discussion on superstitions and traditions are also covered. Features the pumpkin host from “Disney’s Halloween Treat,” and many of the cartoon clips featured in that production. … Continue reading
Yes, it’s true: sadly “Oktoberfest” in Munich, originally scheduled to begin September 18 this year, has been cancelled. And yes, the Vienna, Virginia and Winchester, Virginia Oktoberfest events have also been cancelled. Even Das Festhaus at Busch Gardens Williamsburg is … Continue reading
Do you love gazing at the moon? The moon will full at 5:08 pm, eastern standard time. In September, we had the Harvest Moon. Tonight the moon is called the Hunter’s Moon. The moon will also be full tomorrow night. … Continue reading
Today, the Postal Service will issue four Forever stamps, just in time for Halloween, and they are beauts! They will be officially dedicated at the Milford Pumpkin Festival in Milford, New Hampshire at 5 pm. The Spooky Silhouettes stamps feature … Continue reading
Halloween was originally a pagan holiday to honor the dead. It can be traced back to the Druids, a Celtic culture in Ireland (as well as Scotland, Wales, Brittany, Cornwall and the Isle of Man) that existed more than 2000 … Continue reading
Have you heard of the Mid-Autumn Festival? In Asian cultures, this holiday is second only to the Lunar New Year. It is a harvest festival, much like the American holiday, Thanksgiving. During this festival, families travel and gather together for … Continue reading
November 1st, the Day of the Dead, is one of the most important traditional holidays in Mexico. Through November 23rd, the Mexican Cultural Institute will showcase its traditional and impressive Day of the Dead Altar. Admission is free (street meter parking). For … Continue reading
If you think ghoulish is kind of cool, you have to check out Jeffrey Thomas’s freaky riff on the Disney Princesses. Here are just two — visit his blog to see them all.
Tonight is the full moon for October. This moon is known as the Harvest Moon. Traditions across many cultures are associated with the rise of this large and beautiful moon. In this area, you can purchase moon cakes in celebration … Continue reading