Happy Taco Day! This is a vegetarian Hello Fresh recipe I adapted for every day use. It features the Halloween colors of orange and black and is very tasty. Use this filling in flour or corn tortillas. It’s also good, served with chips, as a wrap or without tortillas. In the picture, I am using a low-carb tortilla with a side of sauteed fennel.
- 1 large or 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- I medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 lime – Zest 1/2 tsp from peel; then cut in half.
- 1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro, leaves only, washed, dried (or substitute lettuce, if you don’t like cilantro)
- 2 small or 1 medium Haas avocado (slice half and half will be used for crema)
- I can of black beans, rinsed
- 4 TBSP of sour cream
- 1 TBSP of honey
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Roast sweet potatoes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan or cookie sheet with parchment paper. Toss the cubed sweet potatoes in 1 TBSP olive oil and spread over the paper. Sprinkle with salt and a little pepper, if desired. Roast for 20 minutes.
- Make filling. Drain and rinse black beans. Add 1 TBSP olive oil to a medium pot/sauce pan and heat over medium heat. Add yellow onion and saute for 5 minutes or until transparent. Add minced garlic and black beans and heat through, about 3 minutes. In a small bowl, mix honey, the juice of half a lime and cumin. Add the mixture to the pot along with the black beans and stir.
- Make Crema. Mash 1/2 avocado with juice from the other lime half, the lime zest and sour cream. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Slice the remaining avocado.
- Spread warmed, soft corn or flour tortillas with crema, add black bean/potato mixture, and top with sliced avocado and cilantro leaves. If you don’t like the taste of cilantro, feel free to go without or substitute lettuce.